Thursday, August 10, 2006

Is The School Bell Ringing???


Brett and I are toying with the idea of putting Mason in preschool 5 days a week. I work about 30 hours a week so he would be there basically full-time. Right now he goes twice a week from 8:30am - 11:30am. At first he cried every time I dropped him off but now he tells us that he wants to go to school every day. Of course, the decision is not Mason's. It's ours. Brett is all for it but I am not sure. I know that the decision doesn't have to be made today or even tomorrow but the preschool he goes to has an opening now. If we really want it, we have to jump on it before someone else does.

Mason has always gone to Angie's. I have been very happy with the idea of him not being in daycare every day. He has spent every day with his aunt and she loves him as if he was her own. That is very comforting to know. Lately he has been complaining because her kids are back in school and there is no one to play with. I guess he is bored. Angie does what she can to entertain him but it's hard to keep Mason busy. Everyday he asks, "Who can I play with?" Well, if he went to school every day, he would sure have a lot of kids to play with.

I guess I have gotten really spoiled because I have never had to deal with daycare. They don't love him like Angie does. But is it time for him to be in preschool? He will be 4 years old next month. I think that he needs interaction with kids his age but fulltime? I am really torn!

7 comments:

Fisherman For Christ said...

Hey Lo Lo, pray about it and it will all work out for the best.

love your POP

Laura said...

You know, I taught preschool for 6 years and I am all for it! No one can love a child like their own family, but I can tell you I sure grew attached to the kiddos in my classes and would be very sad when they moved up or moved away. I think if Mason is comfortable with it, you should follow your child's lead on some things.

Sandy said...

Ahhh, come on Momma! Let him go to daycare! Noah absolutely loved it. He made lots of friends and he learned so much! The teachers still rave about how smart he is and how they miss him so much! He would love it, I promise, maybe not the first week or so but when they don't turn around for a goodbye kiss.... well, then you know. Luckily I always got a hug and a kiss but I saw other kids just walk away from their parent. UGH! I think I cried the first few times I dropped him off. Then if they had something during the day I would go and then have to leave. That is NOT a good thing to do. He would cry so hard! But the teachers said that he stopped and was fine like two seconds later! So try it out!

Anonymous said...

Wow!! What a tough debate. I know how much it means to you to have Mason be with Angie and so many mom's would love to have such a loving sister and aunt who could watch their little one. You are truly blessed. And I also understand that you are concerned with the age issue. However, Mason is a social butterfly and loves to be around other people and children. I totally agree that he needs interaction with other students. I think it would be great for him in teaching socialization skills. You can always try it out and if he doesn't go for it, or you and Brett decide it was a mistake you can lessen the days!! Give it a shot mom, he will excel as always!!

Anonymous said...

I know this is a hard decision that you have been toying with for a long time, but Mason is growing up and is a "Big Boy" now, as he says. Follow your father's advice and then let your Father help you with this decision. Love, Mom
PS I love Brooke's description of Mason, "A Social Butterfly". That's so perfect!

Anonymous said...

Mason will be a great student! I think he is at a great age to be in preschool! Go for it!!

Anonymous said...

Hey girl... well I had McKenzie at Dottie's and you know how we all love Dottie, but when we started putting her in preschool full time she blossomed! She was just like a sponge. She came home with things that were amazing to J-miah and me. Now that she is starting Kindergarten, they chose her to be in a multi-age class with 1st graders, this would not have been the case if she stayed in a home setting vs. school setting. oh yeah and socially they do better...I think Mason will do fine in that department though. So I say go for it if you feel it is best for "Mr Mason"