Friday, August 18, 2006

Doggone Dog!!


Okay, so, I have a shih-tzu named Ripley that I have had for 1 1/2 years. He is a really sweet dog who loves to be around people and he loves Mason. He loves my female boxer, Tyson, and he loves to go for walks. He also loves to chew up anything that he can get his mouth on! I am about to lose my patience with him. He has chewed up Brett's pillow twice and I had to replace the pillow and the case both times. He chewed our dresser, Mason's NY Yankee pillow, hundreds of Mason's toys, ALL the pillows and the bedskirt on the daybed in the spare room, two quilts while Brett and I were sleeping under them, the carpet in the dining room, his bark collar, my shoes, Billy's flip flop and so much more that I could go on forever! We try to keep all the bedroom doors closed but sometimes Mason opens one and forgets to close it. He chews things while we are in the same room as him. He chewed Billy's flip flop, in the computer room, while we were on the computer. We were 12 inches away from him and snuck over and started munching away. I started putting him in his crate at night while we sleep because I can't trust him. Just this morning, he jumped up and stole a pair of Brett's underwear out of the clothes basket and destroyed them. We have spent tons of money replacing things that he has destroyed and I am about at the end of my rope. He is almost two years old. Shouldn't he be over the chew everything up stage? Should I get him fixed? Would that even affect his chewing?
I need help and I don't know what to do. I would lock him in his crate all day everyday, even when we are home, but that is mean and he would bark the whole time. I would put his bark collar on him but he chewed it up! DOGGONE DOG!!

5 comments:

Sandy said...

Ahhh, but he is sooo cute!But what's up with all that licking and him humping Tyson and Chewy? He's such a silly dog!

Laura said...

My red heeler was in the puppy stage until she turned about 3 years old. Maybe you should ask your vet's advice. Getting him fixed might help, he sounds frustrated! :-)

Anonymous said...

Ok, here is some free advice from a professional...
1. When puppy's are young they teethe, it makes them feel better to chew ( just like babies)
2. They develop the habitual behavior of chewing. Why? because all they remember is that it made them feel better.
3. Then any time they are anxious/stressed they resort to the behavior. Kind of like a nail biter, alcoholic, food addict, get the point? At first you do it just to do it...then you are out of control and the bahavior controls you kinda thing. So... How do we fix it? Well first you need to determine when he is anxious or stressed. It sounds like when you are not at home or not showing him attention is when he "acts out". You need to crate him during these times. At first it will feel like you are torturing your dog but eventually he will feel safer in his crate than anywhere. Give him a safe chew toy in his crate, and yes have him neutered, he will listen and be more submissive if you do it soon. The longer you wait the more hormonal or natural behaviors will become habitual.
This session is free all other sessions are $19.95 plus S/H
Let me know if you need more help, really!

Anonymous said...

I love the professional advice you just got! Kinda like knowin a celebrity, huh?

Tammy said...

Sorry, no advice...but wanted to say what CUTE picture that is! :)

We're heading for some doggie challenges ourselves in a few months since we'll be getting a new puppy!