Thursday, June 08, 2006

Thursday Thirteen #5

Thanks to Mandy for the Banner
If you are anything like me, I can't stand to stop for gas. It's not so much the actual pumping of gas but it's the bill that has to paid when I'm done. Hopefully these tips will help us all save a little! Every little bit counts!!
Thirteen Ways to Save Money at the Gas Pump
1... Check your tire pressure. Under-inflated tires require more energy to roll.
2... Fill up on the weekdays. Prices usually rise on the weekend. The cheapest times to buy gas are typically Tuesday midday or Wednesday morning.
3... Fill up at night because pumps deliver more gas when temperatures are lower.
4... Don't overbuy. Unless your owner's manual says you must use a higher grade, buy regular gasoline.
5... Avoid running on empty. You may think you're using very little gas when your car is on empty, but you're actually using more gas because your vehicle is running less efficiently as it tries to accelerate and decelerate in a normal fashion. The best time to get gas is when you have half a tank or less.
6... Slow down. Driving at posted speed limits saves fuel and lives. Each 5 mph over 60 mph is like paying an additional 10 cents per gallon. Use cruise control to maintain your speed.
7... Avoid sudden stops or starts. Erratic acceleration and braking can waste up to 50 cents per gallon.
8... Avoid idling. If you have to sit in your car for more than one minute, shut off the engine.
9... Park in the shade. This minimizes fuel evaporation and helps keep your car cool in the summer.
10... Lighten your load. Don't carry around items you don't need.
11... Keep your gas cap on tight. Tightening the gas cap on your car will prevent gas from evaporating and escaping into the air.
12... Get a tune-up. A simple tune-up on your car can improve your gas mileage by an average of 4.1 percent.
13... Look into discount gas card offers. Some gas stations offer as much as 5-10 percent off the gas you buy if your join their rebate program.
Thanks to Pumpraider.com for these tips.


10 comments:

Trish Ess said...

A very useful and informative TT! I should show this to my husband - he drives a gas-guzzling truck.

My TT are up.

Uisce said...

I'd better write these down before I... what was I just doing?

YellowRose said...

Very helpful list...now #14 should be, carry first aid equipment for that price shock that tends to happen after a fill up! ;)

Happy Thursday, my TT is up!

Stephanie said...

Also, fill up before 10am. That is when they change prices. (My dad was a gas station manager for many many years.)

My TT is up.

Carmen said...

Can I add "stay home and don't drive"? ;) Or "get friends to drive you around."

Happy Mama to Three said...

Good tips.

Glad I visited.

C

My TT are up are running

Wystful1 said...

Good ideas...great list.

Drop by mine and pick up a T 13 banner if you want! I made 'em for the blogrollers!!

Frances D said...

I shall be passing these on to all my friends who drive.
Thanks for sharing,
Frances

Anonymous said...

Great list; some things there I've never have thought about. Gas are so pricy in Norway at the moment!! #5 would be my fathers favorite ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh, no, sorry - didn't mean to be anonymous a..... So here's another comment!