Saturday, June 10, 2006

Happy Birthday Mom!!!

Today is my mom's birthday. I have blogged about her in the past so today, as a tribute to a part of her, I am going to tell you about my dad.

When I was little I remember when my dad would say, "What's your name?" I'd respond by saying, "My name is Lori Neiel Graves and I am proud of it and Jesus Christ is the light of the world." He taught us all to say that. But Jesus wasn't always the light of my dad's world. He went through so many battles with the devil and a lot of times the devil almost won. But through God's grace, my daddy is now Preacher Bobby. It amazes me that God can take someone and make them a new person.

My parents were divorced for about 20 years so when I was growing up, I lived with mom and visited dad whenever he would have me. I would call and beg him to pick me up from school just so all the kids could see my big, bad dad! I loved going out on the shrimp boat with him on the weekends. I had him all to myself out on the ocean.... I loved it!

When Mason was 10 days old, my mom and dad got married with all of us kids standing with them. You just have no idea how that felt. I have tears in my eyes right now just thinking about it. Something that all of us kids thought would never happen did in fact happen.... Our parents were back together.

I can't begin to tell you how proud I am of my dad. He has walked through fire and come on the other side praising God. I used to be proud that my dad was Bobby Graves because of the crazy things that he did. Now I am proud of my dad for the man that he has become. Isn't God good? He can take a broken man and make him a warrior for Christ.... Or in my daddy 's case, a Fisherman For Christ! I love you so much daddy! I am so thankful that God chose to give me to you.

5 comments:

Laura said...

Happy Birthday, Mama Polly! Good story about your dad, Lori! I will always remember you and I getting to go out on the shrimp boat. We were like 15, maybe? That was fun! So glad things worked out for the best.

Bethany said...

Wow. That is cool that they got back together! My parents, too, were divorced and then remarried. But it was all while I was little and I barely remember it. I was two when they got back together.

Jennifer said...

I think it's so neat when God brings a couple back together after so many years. Proof that He sees marriage as a life-long covenant.

I love the design, Susie did a beautiful job! Adorable son too.

Sandy said...

Girl, you make me wanna cry! I love your family! All of them!

Anonymous said...

What a neat neat story. You blessed my heart in reading this about people I do not even know.

Thank you for sharing.