Tuesday, January 09, 2007

A Tribute to My PaPa

One year ago today, my grandfather passed away. It was by far the saddest day of my life. His was my first up close experience with death and it was so hard. My PaPa was one of a kind. I am positive that there is not another man like him in this world. I remember when I was little, I'd sit on MaMa and PaPa's couch and wait for him to get home from work. I loved to hear him whistle in the mornings or make up silly songs about odd things. He used to call me Lori the Horse. He'd called all of us turd head tappin's. I have no idea where he got these funny names from or where he came up with all the crazy jokes. He could tell you war stories and describe things as if they happened yesterday. He was a very smart man and a lot of times he had an attitude about one thing or another. But that is what made him PaPa.

Nickiehoakiemombo was one of his favorite phrases. What does it mean? I have no idea but I say it to Mason all the time. We would always reply with "banana split". So, Nickiehoakiemombo to everyone who reads this tribute! PaPa's legend lives on!

3 comments:

Laura said...

Banana Split! Lori, do you remember one time when we were at your MaMa and PaPa's house and I was wearing that green dress and PaPa told me "That be the ugliest dress I'd ever seen!" We laughed so hard.

Sandy said...

I sure do miss my Granddaddy Talley. I grew up in his house pretty much. We would go riding around town while my Nanny was getting her "brain wave" (that is what he called getting her hair done). We'd go to the pawn shop, Sky City and to visit my daddy at work. I used to sit and watch him play solitaire. Me and my brother went on vacations with them all the time. My favorite memories! May my Granddaddy and your PaPa forever rest in peace! Love you!

Anonymous said...

My grandpa was also one of a kind so I can relate with you and Sandy. He and I had a very special bond. I miss Him so much. His personality is identical to McKenzie's, so at least I get to see that on a daily basis. I can't wait to see him again.